26 hours spent to prepare this guide
9 external sources of information used
Fact-checked by DVM Claudine Sievert
Sometimes kittens may need our help.
If a fluffy is abandoned or orphaned, it should be bottle fed immediately. Moreover, a cat may refuse to feed a kitten due to the number of reasons (illness, compulsive disorder, anxiety).
In such a case, you need to make a quick decision very fast and know how to feed a cat properly. The kitten’s future health depends on how quickly you start feeding it with the right formula. Investigating the best formula may take a plenty of time so I decided to collect the best recipes. All you have to do is to bookmark this page or print the recipes!
- 1 4 Best Homemade Kitten Formula Recipes
- 2 Homemade Kitten Formula Recipe #1
- 3 Homemade Kitten Formula Recipe #2
- 4 Homemade Kitten Formula Recipe #3
- 5 Homemade Kitten Milk Recipe #4
- 6 Transitioning to a commercial formula
- 7 In a word
So it is of great importance to have a couple of formula recipes written down. That’s how you can prepare the food quickly and feed your baby cat in just 3-5 minutes (if you have all the ingredients ready ofcourse).
Also, a formula makes a great supplement to cat’s milk to make sure your kitten receives enough nutrients and vitamins.
Although the ingredients may vary, there are several key nutritional factors for a milk replacer.
For every 100 g of milk replacer fed, there should be:
So how to make a kitten formula that has the above mentioned nutrition facts? I have picked five best recipes for you.
These kitten milk substitute formulas are using Knox unflavored gelatin. This is an optimal healthy option for your kitten.
4 Best Homemade Kitten Formula Recipes
Homemade Kitten Formula Recipe #1
- 1 quart whole goat’s milk
- ¼ teaspoon Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 item egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt goat’s milk preferred
- Take a saucepan and pour a goat’s milk into it. Now add gelatin in accordance with the table given above. Heat the mixture until all the ingredients are dissolved. Remove a saucepan from the stove. Add the remaining ingredients. Put it in the fridge.
- Newborn to 1 week – 1 pkg of Knox
- 2nd week – 1 1/2 – 2 pkgs of Knox
- 3rd week – 2 1/2 – 3 pkgs of Knox
- 4th week – 4 pkgs of Knox
Homemade Kitten Formula Recipe #2
- 2 items egg yolk
- 8 ounces homogenized whole milk
- 1 drop liquid pediatric vitamins optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- The process of preparing the mixture is the same like in recipe #1. Don’t forget to mix it well and put it in the fridge. You can keep it up to 1 week. If the kitten is a newborn, try to use the formula as soon as possible. Always test the temperature of the formula for kittens on your arm.
Homemade Kitten Formula Recipe #3
- 1 can evaporated milk regular size
- 8 ounces container plain yogurt
- 1 strained jar baby food meat veal, lamb, or chicken
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 equal size water
- Mix all the ingredients properly and put a bottle in the fridge. You can warm up the formula in a bowl of hot water or a microwave. However, not all the recipes are good for heating in the microwave. You should consult your vet in this regard.
Homemade Kitten Milk Recipe #4
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 item egg yolk
- 1 drop liquid human pediatric vitamins optional
- Mix the milk and egg yolk, add 2 tablespoons of corn syrup. Seal the bottle tightly and put it in the fridge. You should take into account that you need to mix this formula with boiling water in 50/50 proportion.
Transitioning to a commercial formula
Please, note: these homemade kitten formula recipes can be used only as an urgent temporary solution. In the future, you should transition to commercial formula.
“Commercial kitten formulas are better balanced and guarantee proper muscle, bones, and organ development. Also, they prevent your kitten from diarrhea and constipation.”— Claudine Sievert, DVM
If you are in hurry and just want to get an optimal product – we suggest KMR because it’s one of the highest-rated milk replacers for kittens.
If you want to find out about more options available on the market – please, read our separate guide (you’ll find a link in the next paragraph).
In a word
Now you know that it is not so difficult to prepare a proper kitten formula for bottle feeding. These recipes are better than simple cow milk. However, you should know that a formula is worse than a commercial kitten milk replacement.
These mixtures are not enough for a complex nutrition every kitten needs at the beginning of its life. Each formula is a substitute for kitten milk. Use them only in case of emergency. Consult your vet before preparing a mixture.
Don’t forget to prepare a formula beforehand in case you need it immediately. Always keep it in a fridge. It will get spoiled soon if you don’t keep it refrigerated.
Also you are welcome to check another recipe in this video:
And don’t forget that if your kitten is 2-3 months old, it’s time to switch to commercial kitten food!