Abound Cat Food Review
Top Abound Cat Food Reviews 2020
The formula of Chicken & Rice recipe contains real chicken as the main component, so the flavor should appeal to all cats. There is also brown rice, carrots, and peas added, which ensures a healthy combination of nutrients and calories. This food would be good for cats in all life stages. It’s made of 100% natural ingredients, there are no fillers and grains that could be harmful to your feline friend. Fibers help the digestive system and improve the state of fur and skin. According to the manufacturer, the food prevents the development of sensitivity and helps to reduce hairballs.
- Made of 100% organic components;
- Helps the cat’s digestive system;
- Prevents sensitivity and allergy;
- Good for a complete diet.
- Brown rice is not tolerated by some cats;
- More carbohydrates than usual.
- Size: 3.5 lbs
This is another all-natural recipe in the series of Abound dry food that is featured in our list of best 20 cat foods. The salmon & brown rice kibble formula includes brown rice, real salmon, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and blueberries. Your cat will enjoy a well-balanced diet and a sufficient supply of fibers to digest all the nutrients. Jam-packed with vitamins and minerals, this food is suitable for cats at all life stages. It contains real salmon that provides a serious boost of protein to sustain your cat’s perfect body shape. There are no artificial flavors or preservatives – feel free to serve to pets with stomach sensitivity.
- Perfect for daily nutrition;
- Has antioxidants that improve the immune system;
- Has no fillers or artificial preservatives;
- Brown rice improves digestion and can be given to cats with a sensitive stomach.
- Some cats don’t like salmon flavor.
- Size: 3.5 lbs
If your cat is into eating morsels in gravy and is not a picky eater, treat it with the 3 flavor variety pack cat food. It has 12 pouches with three of each flavor: Salmon & Sweet Potato Stew in Gravy, Turkey Stew with Vegetables in Gravy, Chicken & Beef Dinner in Gravy. According to Abound cat food reviews, pets adore these variations, and the quality of food is pretty good. The food contains all-natural ingredients and 9% of protein. This is a great choice for cats with a sensitive stomach and pets that don’t drink enough water. The formula is packed with vitamins and minerals and is suitable for cats and kittens of all ages. There are no artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
- Has three flavors;
- Optimal price;
- No artificial colors or preservatives;
- It has vitamins and minerals.
- High content of carbohydrates.
If your cat prefers Abound wet cat food, consider these convenient pouches. Although salmon & sweet potato combination is quite unusual, many cats appear to love it. The formula includes small pieces of salmon and sweet potatoes which makes it a nutritious and vitamin-packed meal. It’s designed to fulfill all the alimental needs of your pet. Potato fiber helps to prevent stomach upset by improving digestion. One pouch contains 1-2 portions.
- Uses real fish as the main ingredient;
- Packed with natural potato fibers – has no grains;
- Pouches are convenient for serving;
- It helps to avoid allergy and sensitivities.
- Lack of user reviews to evaluate the product quality;
- A bit expensive;
- Some cats don’t like salmon flavor.
- Size: 3 oz / 75 g
If your pet tolerates beans and potato well, try Abound grain-free cat food – the chicken & chickpea recipe is full of both animal and plant protein. This formula will provide your pet with a boost of energy not mentioning the natural fibers that improve digestion and the immune system. The blend combines chicken as the primary ingredient and is enriched with essential vitamins and minerals. It’s highly recommended to cats without stomach sensitivities. There are no artificial preservatives or colors used, so the product is perfect for a complete and balanced diet.
- Suitable for cats at all life stages;
- Has vitamins and minerals;
- Chickpeas improve digestion and serve as an extra source of protein;
- 100% grain-free.
- Some cats are allergic to chickpeas and sweet potatoes.
- Size: 3 lbs
When your adult cat grows older, it may start developing various sensitivities that affect not only the stomach but also teeth. To improve your pet’s dental health, try giving it Abound Center-Filled Dental Cat Treats: they are a pleasure to chew and bite, especially when the cat gets to the tasty filling. The recipe has roasted chicken flavor, which most felines find pretty attractive. With every bite they make, they improve dental health. It goes without mentioning 30% crude protein contents – a great advantage for cats of any age. One set of Abound cat treats includes 3 reusable pouches that are easy to close and store. These dental treats are a good option for cats that don’t like brushing their teeth with a toothpaste.
- Improves dental health, prevents tartar and plaque, helps to keep teeth clean;
- Contains 30% crude protein;
- Has tender center filling which makes treats tastier.
- Cannot replace proper nutrition;
- Some cats do not like treats.
- Size: 2.1 oz
Main Features of Abound Cat Food
As we have already mentioned, the Abound cat food brand has gained the reputation of a reliable manufacturer: It offers quality food for an agreeable price. Judging by Abound brand cat food reviews, pets like both wet food and kibbles, and there are no complaints about their wellbeing and health.
What makes this brand worthy?
- Only 100% natural ingredients are used;
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives are added;
- Products are versatile and can be given to cats at all life stages;
- Meat is the first ingredient, no soy, corn or wheat are used;
- Both wet and dry food contains essential vitamins and minerals.
Whatever taste and form of nutrition you choose, Abound is suitable for a balanced healthy diet.
About Abound company
The Abound brand has been established in 2014 by the Kroger store chain. This pet food for cats and dogs is produced for natural food consumers. The primary advantage of this food is the total absence of potentially harmful ingredients, such as soy, corn, and wheat. No artificial colors, preservatives, or flavors are used. The manufacturer uses meat as the main component and does not include animal by-products into any of its formulas – it makes up for exceptional quality and safety of their products. Today, Abound brand is represented not only in the Kroger store, but also in various online pet supply shops.
It’s not 100% clear where Abound cat food is produced, but if the company uses one place to manufacture all products, it must be Sunshine Mills. It runs several facilities over the United States – this is where the brand’s dog food is produced. Sunshine Mills makes food for such brands as Evolve, Sportsman’s Pride, Hi-Top, Triumph, and others. The vast majority of Abound ingredients are imported from the USA, but some may come from other countries. The information about ingredient origin is not disclosed, which puts their quality into a question.
Is Abound good for cats?
If we cast a look at the contents of the products, we will find them absolutely healthy. For example, dry food has 30-30% of crude protein, 4-5% of fiber, and even 10% of moisture (which is a rare occasion for kibbles). Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids are added together with taurine and vitamins, such as Magnesium and Phosphorous.
We should also admit that the manufacturer states clearly what kind of meat it uses, for instance, deboned salmon, chicken meat, turkey meat, potatoes, etc. It lets us know what exactly the food is made of.
Yet, there are a few concerns about Abound cat food quality. They are raised by two issues:
- Some ingredients are not appropriate for cats. For example, dry food includes dried cellulose and brewers dried yeast. There are also dried whey and oatmeal – those can irritate the cat’s stomach.
- It’s not clear where Abound cat food is manufactured, and where some components come from. While meat produced by USA farmers is considered to be safe, many Chinese ingredients have lower quality and might be full of hormones and chemicals.
Generally, Abound cat food is a brand for owners in search of a versatile solution. If you need a one-fits-all product, opt for this solution. Why? First, most foods are suitable for kittens, pregnant and adult cats. Secondly, kibbles and morsels both contain a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals, including Omega fatty acids, taurine, vitamins A, C, D, and a lot of other essential components.
As a veterinarian, I’m for a more individual approach – all in all, cats of different ages and breeds have different needs. However, Abound cat food can fulfill the nutritional needs of your pet pretty well. Besides, it offers the whole range of flavors to choose from.
Has Abound been recalled?
Abound company has been recalled in December 2018: their pet food was reported to have elevated contents of vitamin D. Besides, Sunshine Mills facilities where Abound food is made have been recalled nine times before that – all of the issues were connected with excessive levels of Vitamin D.
It should be noted that the above-mentioned problems were connected with dog food only – there has been no Abound cat food recall throughout the history of brand existence. It means that the products for cats are safe.
Types of cat food available
Abound company offers all essential types of cat nutrition, as well as the treats for felines. The lineup includes:
- Dry cat food. It contains organic ingredients only, and its first ingredient is always meat. It contains a lot of protein (~32%) to sustain muscle development. Kibbles have no artificial flavors and colors. They do not contain wheat, corn, soy, and animal by-products.
- Grain-free dry cat food. Generally, it has the same healthy contents as the above-mentioned series: it’s also enriched with minerals and vitamins. Yet, there are no grains added, and the food has a higher level of protein and more vegetables, fruits, and berries. It’s recommended for cats with a sensitive stomach, as well as nursing mothers and kittens.
- Wet food. It’s mostly available in pouches and comes in a variety of flavors (chicken, salmon, turkey, beef). Those formulas include a lot of protein and easy-to-digest carbohydrates. No animal by-products and artificial flavors added. Grain-free options are available, as well as recipes with sweet potatoes.
Cat treats. They mostly come in the form of kibbles with soft filling (chicken flavor is the most popular option) and help to improve dental health and prevent tartar buildup.
If you’re specifically looking for soft dry cat foods – check out this guide instead.
My own Abound cat food review
In order to find out whether Abound is a worthy cat food brand, I’ve made my own research. I studied all the available information on the Abound website to find more information about the product quality. I was surprised to find out that this cat food is not formulated to meet AAFCO standards or, to put it correctly, it has not been checked for compliance with those standards. Not that it is the only criterion of quality, but compliance with the AAFCO standards is one more sign that you can trust the brand.
After that, I decided to make my own analysis and purchased two samples of Abound food: dry kibbles with Chicken and Brown Rice flavor, and pouches with shredded chicken and salmon in gravy. Here’s my verdict:
Although the optimal content of vitamins and minerals makes Abound cat food perfect for daily nutrition, the amount of carbohydrates and fats is higher than normal. For example, it has 36% of protein and 43% of carbohydrates + 17% of fat. This is more than an adult cat needs! While pregnant felines and kittens are okay with such a boost of calories (376 kcal/100 g), healthy adult cats might start having problems with excessive weight.
At the same time, I should admit that wet food contains an optimal amount of protein and fat. Thanks to 82% moisture content, it is easy to digest, the calorie content is moderate (65 kcal per 100 g). This would be a great option if combined with dry food. Please, note that wet food contains guar gum and potato starch – both are questionable ingredients. Such ingredients as dried eggs and salmon might cause allergy in cats, so watch your pet’s wellbeing.
|Contains 100% natural ingredients. All essential vitamins and minerals are included. High protein contentsWet food has enough moisture||Some ingredients may cause allergy (dried egg products, salmon). Too much fat and carbohydrates in dry kibbles|
What customers say about Abound cat food?
Judging by customers’ reviews, Abound cat food is of decent quality – many pets like both treats and food and readily devour it. The food is pretty healthy – no serious allergic reactions or poor well-being were reported. Cats feel well and thrive with this product, and 4- or 5-star Abound cat food rating proves that. Customers’ only complaint is the price, though some users agree that the products are well worth it. Among the main food advantages, they highlight:
- Natural components and the absence of artificial additives (colors, flavors, carrageenan, preservatives);
- Low price when bought in brick-and-mortar stores;
- High content of meat and protein;
- Cats like the flavor of both wet and dry food;
- Absence of ash in kibbles – the product is clean.
As for drawbacks, there are only a few of them:
- The food is overpriced in some online stores, and is not widely available in the Net;
- Lack of flavors to choose from – Abound mostly offers chicken, turkey, and salmon;
- There are no particular foods for senior and sterile cats;
- Dry food has a high calorie and fat content, it’s not suitable for overweight cats;
- No species appropriateness – all types of food are versatile.
All in all, customers are content with the quality of Abound cat nutrition and choose it for daily feeding. Even picky feline eaters love the product and all flavors (although salmon is quite a specific one).
Is Abound cat food grain-free?
There are two series available: with and without grains. The first category of Abound products may contain oatmeal. However, the manufacturer never uses soy and wheat in dry and wet food. Most often, sweet potatoes and brown rice are used in the food. Check the label and read the contents to pick a grain-free product.
Where to buy Abound cat food?
Since Abound is Kroger’s brand, you can find a large choice of their products in Kroger stores. Besides, it’s available in some online pet supply stores, though the price varies depending on where you purchase it. Abound brand also sells the products in Amazon: to order the food, click the links provided in my review.
How does abound cat food rate with veterinarians?
Unfortunately, there are no full-fledged reviews made by vets. However, judging by this Reddit thread, people are mostly concerned with the absence of AAFCO statements about the appropriateness and safety of the food. It means it has not been properly tested, so there’s no proof that cats eating Abound food stay healthy.
So should you buy Abound cat food?
As I’ve already mentioned, Abound cat food is a great solution for those who prefer versatile products. Generally, the Abound brand makes high-quality food that contains all essential nutrients and a generous amount of protein, which means your pets are not likely to lack anything in their diet. Abound would be recommended when:
- Your cat is absolutely healthy and does not need any special diet;
- Your pet is not prone to serious allergic reactions;
- Your feline is active enough and has no extra pounds – Abound is rich in calories;
- You have several cats that readily eat anything served to them.
I would especially recommend wet food if your cat has no sensitivities because Abound’s morsels in gravy have enough moisture and vitamins.
I’d like to finish my review with a few recommendations for those who have decided to switch to Abound cat food.
First of all, you should calculate the appropriate amount of food for your cat. Even though Abound is suitable for felines of all breeds and ages, it has a lot of calories, so It’s crucial to serve this food in portions. That will prevent overweight and gastrointestinal problems. If your pet eats kibbles only, make sure it drinks enough water! You can figure out how much water your cat needs by reading our definitive guide.
Secondly, do not forget about watching your cat’s health and well-being. Since Abound contains salmon broth and some questionable ingredients like dried egg products, brewer yeast, etc, it might cause allergy in cats. Once you switch to the new diet, watch for the signs of allergic reactions: itching, sneezing, poor fur, and skin quality, red spots on the skin. Note that the symptoms of allergy can manifest only a few months after!
Thirdly, don’t forget to give your feline friend the tasty treats. Abound’s dental cat treats are rated high because both owners and their pets are in love with this product. It’s a pretty cheap and easy way to keep your cat’s teeth clean and healthy, not mentioning its appealing flavor.