Cat Feeders For Multiple Cats
Top cat feeders for multiple cats
A fully automated and easily customizable solution, Super Feeder device is a superb choice for a household with several cats because it eliminates the problem of timely serving and overeating. You can set it up to dispense up to 48 meals per day! The basic container holds 5 cups of kibbles, and there’s a larger container sold separately: it adds 7 lbs of food. Since you can adjust the portions, the issue of overeating is solved forever.
The model requires no batteries: there is a wire with a 12VDC power supply. It means your cats won’t be left hungry without food. The construction can be put on the floor or attached to a wall with screws. Besides, you can attach special DIY feeding contraption to the dispenser: this way, it will distribute food over several bowls. The hardware and brackets are made of metal while the bowl, stand, and container are made of safe, non-toxic plastic. However, they cannot be machine-washed – only manual washing is allowed.
- Has an easily programmable timer;
- Compactness with high capacity;
- Metal mounting bracket allows installing it anywhere;
- Compatible with extensions for higher capacity.
- Requires frequent calibration.
If your cats keep fighting for the food portions, there is a way out. SureFeed represents truly edge-cutting technologies in the industry of automated cat feeders for multiple cats: it grants access to food when the cat with a particular chip approaches it. It sounds complicated, but you don’t have to buy a separate chip because the device supports 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA), and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers. If your cat is not chipped, you can place the micro-scheme in its collar tag (one is already included in the kit).
The navigation and programming is a no-brainer: it’s done by a single button only. You can set up the timing easily. Although there is a single bowl, it can place several portions of kibbles. Thanks to the lid closing into a sealed bowl, food stays fresh longer. This model is ideal when you leave your home for a day and would be a great choice if your pets prefer wet cat food. However, this is not the top pick when your cats are aggressive and tend to disturb one another.
- Ideal for a timely serving of portions;
- Compatible with widespread chips;
- One-button programming.
- It has only one bowl.
What makes it one of the best automatic cat feeders for multiple cats? Catsfuy device features five individual compartments for dry and wet food 240 ml each. Thus, you can divide the meals into five portions and set up the timer to ensure several meal sessions for your cats. Being an FDA certified food dispenser, it is made of ABS plastic without dangerous BPA substances, so you don’t have to worry about long-term food storage. The bowl should be washed manually.
How to let your pets know when it’s time for them to eat? Leave personalized voice records (you can capture several messages up to 10 seconds each). They will play before and during the pet’s meal. A convenient LED display and a few buttons make navigation a jiffy. The device uses both batteries and a power adapter, so the feeder will work even if it runs out of power. A convenient LED display and four buttons allow for easy programming.
- Allows serving both wet and dry food;
- Combines batteries and wire;
- Optimal price;
- Voice messages.
- Batteries not included;
- Voice records last only 10 seconds;
- Not suitable for the long-term absence of pet owners.
The pet owners who want to serve separate portions for their cats should consider the model from Fluffy Paws. It allows you to have three pets eating simultaneously and prevent aggressive behavior during feeding. It not only lets your fluffy friends eat in peace, but also reduces the risk of choking from eating too fast and solves the problem of indigestion. This is an ideal option if you have pets that control their consumption and don’t overeat.
Kibbles are served from the central distributor that places several portions of dry food: it indicates the amount of food left. Since this is a gravity model, no batteries or wires are required – you are free to place the feeder anywhere. Non-slip pads on the bottom will prevent slipping. The construction is made by microbeFENCE technology that prevents bacteria buildup and is very easy to clean and maintain. It’s easy to disassemble and wash manually.
- Ergonomic and compact design with three bowls;
- No electric energy is required;
- Optimal price.
- Some users wish it had a larger reservoir;
- The lid is not sturdy – pets can open it and eat from the large bowl.
Being a fully programmable, technically advanced feeder, the model from PetSafe allows you to customize the cat’s feeding schedule. You can easily schedule up to 12 meals for your pets and set the device to provide from 1/8 to 4 cups of food depending on cats’ appetite. Additionally, there is a Precision 3D print splitter adapter that allows dividing one portion in three. Being made of safe BPA-free plastic, the device and its parts can be washed easily and don’t emit toxic substances.
Thanks to the pet-proof design, the device keeps food safe and closed from cats: they won’t be able to get into the reservoir. You can store dry and semi-moist food in the container. As for the energy source, you are free to choose: the device runs on 4 D-cell batteries (not included), but you can also order a model with an adapter. Generally, this is the right solution for households with several cats when owners leave for a few days. Alternatively, PetSafe offers a feeder with a large bowl divided into five compartments (better for serving wet food).
- Easily programmable;
- Supports both batteries and an adapter;
- Stores pretty much food;
- Small portion settings aren’t working correctly.
Aside from being a highly stylish device, the Petkit feeder features easy navigation via WiFi and the proprietary app. You can install it on your smartphone or use Alexa to help you manage pet feeding efficiently. Wherever you are, you will be able to program the feeder and stay assured your cats are fed. The model allows scheduling up to 10 meals per day, 20-400 grams each. The container’s capacity is 6 lbs, so the reserves will last several days. Once you set the feeder up, it will work all day long continuously even without a WiFi connection.
The double fresh lock system keeps the food fresh all day long, so you can easily leave it and go to work – your cats will stay fed and happy. Worry that there’s only one bowl? It’s big enough so that several cats won’t disturb one another much. When it’s time for your cats to eat, you will get notifications. Besides, the app will send you food shortage alerts, so your furry friends won’t miss a meal.
- Easily programmable;
- 6 lbs capacity;
- Wi-Fi connection and compatibility with Android and iOS smartphones.
- Problems with app connection might occur.
Your pets are finicky eaters and need encouragement to start eating? Or maybe they have problems with overeating? Homdox feeder will be just right if you leave your furry friends for a day. It allows you to set up the timer to serve portions from 5 to 195 grams (up to 40 portions). To let your cats know it’s mealtime, you can record voice messages – pets will enjoy hearing you! Don’t worry about pets fighting for food: you can buy a splitter additionally.
The device uses 3 D-size batteries but can also be USB-charged. It’s recommended to use both sources of energy to ensure your pets stay fed. If the power is lost, the program will reset – that’s one more reason to use both a regular charge and batteries. Since the reservoir has a 3.5-liter capacity, you can even leave the feeder for your cats when you go for a short trip. Being made of safe plastic, the construction is easy to clean and dry.
- Optimal reservoir capacity;
- Works with cable and batteries;
- Agreeable price;
- Settings reset when the power is off;
- Programming is too complex for some users.
Non-expensive and high-capacity, Flexzion feeder is available in two options: 6-12 lbs and 4-6 lbs, which makes it one of the best auto cat feeders for multiple cats when on vacation. You don’t have to worry about electricity – the gravity device will serve food automatically. It’s an excellent option for a household with multiple pets since the bowl is large enough. The vast compartment stores food reserves that last a week or even longer.
The model is recommended to the pets that can control their appetite and food consumption since you cannot set up the portion size. Additionally, you should buy a feeder with water and sleep soundly, knowing that your cats stay fed and happy even when you are away on a trip. Made of PET plastic, the transparent reservoir lets you see how much food is left, and is pretty easy to clean. Thanks to the non-skid rubber feet, it will be kept stable at its place. Despite looking fragile, the transparent reservoir is sturdy enough and can be removed easily.
- No batteries and energy required;
- No need to program the device.
- You cannot set the timing and define portion size;
- Primitive design;
- One bowl.
Being a highly technically advanced pet feeder, HoneyGuardian can be easily customized to serve from 1 to 80 portions as small as 1/16 cup. The steel bowl holds up to 3 cups of dry food, so it’s big enough for two-three cats. You can schedule up to 6 meals per day, which means this thing is ideal when you leave for a day. The large container stores food reserves that last 2-7 days, depending on the cats number and their appetite. The transparent window shows the amount of kibbles left. Even if the device shuts off, the portions will be dispensed normally – you don’t have to worry about cats staying hungry.
The feeder works with both batteries (4 D-size batteries) and a USB charge (DC adapter is included). The unique motor inversion technique prevents the blocking of kibbles, and the motor rotates in the opposite direction to release food. Note that kibbles less than 0.47 inch should be used. Otherwise, they can get stuck. The model features a bright blue LCD and four control buttons, so you will be able to program it even without instructions.
- Works with both batteries and USB charge;
- Easy to program;
- Compatible with splitter adapter;
- Stylish design.
- Small capacity;
- Large kibbles cannot be used;
- Tends to break quickly.
Your pets fight for food and cannot control the number of portions consumed, PortionProRX will solve both problems. Working with the proprietary chips, it assigns the portions of pre-set size to pets at a particular time, granting access only when required. Please, note that only one chip is included in the kit, and if you have a multi-cat household, you will need to buy chips and collars separately. Each container holds 32 cups of kibbles, and the device allows scheduling up to 6 meals per day. That means you can leave this device for a long time and stay assured that cats stay fed when you are away on a trip.
The feeder is easy to program: the LED blue display will show you the information and settings for each pet. One more bonus: it’s children proof, and the bowl is closed by the lid, which opens only during the meal. The ceramic coated steel bowl is easy to clean and has antimicrobial properties. You can simply use dish detergent and sponge to maintain cleanliness. The construction features rubber pads to ensure stability and avoid knocking over.
- Chip system ensures correct and fair kibble serving;
- Optimal container capacity;
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Only one chip is included, others should be purchased separately;
How to choose the best cat feeders for multiple cats?
The algorithm of selection includes several essential steps:
- First, you should decide what exactly you need a feeder for. Do you want to divide one standard bowl into several ones? Or you need to ensure that each cat receives a normal portion of food. In the first case, you can simply buy one dispenser with separate bowls.
- If your cats don’t have any problems with overeating and sharing bowls, a simple gravity dispenser will be just right. Buy the one with appropriate capacity. If you are absent during one day, a simple 3-6 lbs container will be just right. If you plan to leave your feline friends for several days, buy a 12 lbs gravity dispenser.
- If your pets should be served definite portions at a certain time, buy an auto cat feeder for multiple cats. Before you make a purchase, ensure you can set up the timing and the size of the portion. This way, you can fully customize the serving.
- Your pets like wet food? Search for the models that allow putting an ice pack on the bottom and have a cover lid that’s opened automatically at a certain time. Such a model is an optimal choice if you leave home for work and get back in the evening.
- Where your feeder will be located? Consider this guide if you’re looking for outdoor cat feeder options.
Automatic cat feeders for multiple cats
The majority of models I reviewed are automatic. This is the right choice for pet owners who leave their cats for a day or longer. The most popular electronic feeder brands include:
- PetSafe. It offers the whole series of feeders, both for dry and wet foods. If you have several cats, pay attention to the model with five compartments: it allows serving both kibbles and morsels in gravy, preserving the freshness of the food.
- SureFeed and PortionProRX use chips to serve correct portions to pets. Such devices justify their cost by providing scheduled meals for each cat separately. Please, note that each appliance supports different kinds of chips.
- PETKIT provides Wi-Fi connectivity with smartphones (both Android and iOS), as well as Alexa smart home system. It means you can control meals distantly and track consumption.
- HOMDOX is an easily programmable feeder that allows recording voice messages for pets. I recommend it when your pets need encouragement to start eating.
How do you feed multiple cats at the same time?
To feed multiple cats at the same time, ideally, you need to use several bowls. It allows eliminating aggressiveness and competition between pets. If you use one bowl, make sure it’s big enough to provide enough space for several cats. In case you use an automatic feeder, buy a splitter, and use separate bowls for each cat.
How do I get my cat to lose weight in a multi-cat household?
In such case, I suggest my clients to properly calculate how much their cat should be fed and select the food more responsibly. After these actions are taken I recommend using a chip-based feeder. Thus, you will have complete control over the meals of your overweight furry friend. Most likely, the other cats will have to eat the same dietary food, but you can let them eat bigger portions. Another scenario is separating your cats that’s covered in next question.
How do I get my cat to gain weight in a multi-cat household?
The principle is very similar to a situation with getting one of your cats losing weight. First of all you should calculate how much your cat should eat – read how to fatten up your cat here. After this I recommend using a chip-based feeder like Surefeed or PortionPro Rx. You should adopt a comprehensive approach to this and maybe
Can two cats share a food bowl?
It’s not a problem if pets don’t exhibit aggressiveness towards one another. If they get along well, eating from one bowl would be natural for them. However, if cats don’t know each other much, they can be averted by the smell left on the dish.
How can I get my cat to stop eating my other cats’ food?
Microchip feeders like SureFeed and PortionPro RX are indispensable for this purpose. If possible, leave your pet in another room while other cats have meals (automatic doors may become useful for this purpose). If your cats like different flavors, you can use several packages of food. Actually we have a separate guide on this.
How to introduce my cat to the feeder for multiple cats?
First, let your cat eat from the feeder’s bowl without switching it on. When they get comfortable with it, you can turn the feeder on. Let pets see the process of food dispensing: this way, they will be less scared with the noise. If possible, let the recorded video messages encourage your pets.
How I tested the feeders?
To provide readers with unbiased information, I decided to test a few feeders myself and bought one Wi-Fi model and a gravity model. I work with several families that have two and more cats and offered them to perform a test drive. What exactly did we analyze?
- Capacity. We figured out that a small 4-6 lbs container is just right for households with two-three cats when their owners leave for a day. The kibble reserves last for a couple of days, which simplifies life.
- Settings and programming. This is where we all had to overcome a steep learning curve. While gravity feeders require no programming at all, electronic devices with one button are pretty hard to control, so don’t even start without reading instruction first. The problem with most models is that settings tend to disappear when they run out of power.
- Voice commands. This is a pretty cool option for pets that need owners’ encouragement, but don’t expect it to work equally well. In cheap feeders, the sound is pretty weak, and cats may not hear it from the other end of the house. If your cat’s feeding is strongly tied to your voice, should check out our guide with the best pet cameras for cats.
- Power source. Buying a battery-driven device without a wire is a big mistake – this is what we realized when the user’s feeder ran out of power in the middle of the day. Cats stayed hungry and embarrassed. If you don’t mind placing a feeder near the wall, prefer models with wires – they won’t let you down.
The price/quality ratio was easy to predict. Cheap automatic models that cost around $50 are very likely to have some defects and significant drawbacks, while more expensive models have faultless features.
To get a broader picture, I read reviews on Amazon: customers’ feedback helps understand some drawbacks and advantages that reveal after long-term usage of devices. For instance, I realized that automatic feeders require recalibration: from time to time, you need to make sure the portions served are correct. Video reviews also assisted me in noting a few subtle but important details.
When selecting a feeder for multiple cats, you should mind the needs of your furry friends. The choice should depend on what exactly you need: a solution to divide pets’ meals, or a device for serving exact portions? In the first case, a simple gravity feeder would be just right. However, I strongly recommend you to invest in your pets’ health by purchasing an automated feeder. It will serve the correct portions, which will help your cats maintain a healthy weight. In the long run, it will save you boatloads of money.
Note that there are a multitude of features available, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you need a jam-packed model for over $100. If you don’t have to be away for long, and your cats don’t need such function as voice recording, a simple but reliable feeder for some $50-70 would be enough.
Please, read the instruction before setting the feeder even if programming seems to be a no-brainer for you. I saw the reviews where users blamed the device for improper functioning, but forgot to read the manual properly. If you set the timing and portion size correctly, you aren’t likely to face any serious issues.
The last but not the least is paying attention to the material. ABS and BPA-free plastic is the safest option, and the bowls should be made of steel: it will prevent bacteria buildup.
At the end of the day, don’t forget that feeder is not the best investment until you haven’t picked the highest quality food. We’ve got you covered! Check out this guide with the best cat food options.